If you’ve been scouring self inflating mattress reviews in search of the best self inflating mattress Australia has for your next camping trip, and have found yourself feeling even more confused about which one is right for you, you’ve come to the right place!
I know that looking for the best self inflating mattress can be a daunting task – I recently did it myself and it was quite a minefield trying to work out what was going to be affordable as well as good quality for my family on our regular camping trips.
In this guide to the best self inflating camping mattress Australia options out there, I’ll walk you through how to choose the best self inflating air bed or mattress that’s right for you.
Whether you’re just in search of the best cheap self inflating mattress, or one that is perfect if you’re looking for a 4WD self inflating mattress review, I have been through many of the best buy self inflating mattress options on the market and give you the full low-down in this guide with my favourite options as well.
So, if you’re not sure quite which best self inflating camping mat, pad or mattress is right for you, let’s get stuck into what you need to know and how to choose the best one for you!
- 1 Compare The Top 10 Best Self Inflating Camp Mattress Australia 2022
- 2 Top 10 Best Self Inflating Mattress Australia 2022
- 3 How To Choose The Best Self Inflating Air Mattress 2022
- 4 Best Self-Inflating Camping Mattress Reviews Australia 2022
- 4.1 Weisshorn Self Inflating Mattress Review
- 4.2 Oztrail Self Inflating Mattress Leisure Mat Review
- 4.3 Wanderer 4×4 Touring Self Inflating Mattress Review
- 4.4 Black Wolf HexaTherm Mega Deluxe Self Inflating Mattress Review
- 4.5 Zempire Monstamat Self Inflating Mattress Review
- 4.6 Thermarest Mondoking 3D Self Inflating Mattress Review
- 4.7 Coleman Self-Inflating Camping Mattress Review
- 4.8 Kathmandu Cabana Self Inflating Mattress Review
- 4.9 Sea To Summit Comfort Deluxe Self Inflating Mattress Review
- 4.10 Kings Self Inflating Mattress Review
- 4.11 Related posts:
Compare The Top 10 Best Self Inflating Camp Mattress Australia 2022
|Weisshorn Self Inflating Mattress||10cm||Single or Double||7.3kg (Single)||190 x 56 x 10cm||Click||Joinable mat, water resistant, 60-second inflation||4.0|
|Oztrail Self Inflating Mattress Leisure Mat||8cm||Double, Queen or King Single||6kg (King Single)||195 x 80 x 10cm||Click||Slip resistant, ExtractAir™ system||4.5|
|Wanderer 4×4 Touring Self Inflating Mattress||12cm||Single, Double, Queen or King Single||5kg (Single)||190 x 70 x 12cm||Click||4 ports, 12cm thick||4.5|
|Black Wolf HexaTherm Mega Deluxe Self Inflating Mattress||10cm||Single or Queen||5.2kg (Queen)||198 x 135 x 10cm||Click||Non-slip base, pump sack, oversized inflate valves||4.0|
|Zempire Monstamat Self Inflating Mattress||10cm||Single, Twin or King Single||7kg (Twin)||201 x 132 x 10cm||Click||360° double-way valve, no noise surface||4.5|
|Thermarest Mondoking 3D Self Inflating Mattress||10cm||Large, XX Large||2.4kg (XX Large)||200 x 76 x 11cm||Click||TwinLock valve, StrataCore construction||4.5|
|Coleman Self-Inflating Camping Mattress||6.4cm||Single||2.3kg||70 x 18 x 18cm||Click||Weather-resistant shell, pillow, free flow valve||4.5|
|Kathmandu Cabana Self Inflating Mattress||7.5cm||Single||2.7kg||196 x 64 x 7.5cm||Click||Anti-slip surface, snap domes||4.0|
|Sea To Summit Comfort Deluxe Self Inflating Mattress||10cm||King Single||0.9kg||182.9 x 10.2 x 63.5cm||Click||Delta-Core Technology, 10cm thick, multifunction single valve||4.5|
|Kings Self Inflating Mattress||10cm||Single or Queen||4.3kg (Single)||190 x 85 x 10cm||Click||Removable valves, adjustable straps, puncture resistant||4.5|
Top 10 Best Self Inflating Mattress Australia 2022
Handy reference list of the best self-inflating mattress options – see all of the best self inflating camping mattress reviews below!
- Weisshorn Self Inflating Mattress,Single or Double
- Oztrail Self Inflating Mattress Leisure Mat, Double, Queen or King Single
- Wanderer 4×4 Touring Self Inflating Mattress, Single, Double, Queen or King Single
- Black Wolf HexaTherm Mega Deluxe Self Inflating Mattress, Single or Queen
- Zempire Monstamat Self Inflating Mattress, Single, Twin or King Single
- Thermarest Mondoking 3D Self Inflating Mattress, King Single
- Coleman Self-Inflating Camping Mattress, Single
- Kathmandu Retreat Double Self Inflating Mattress, Single
- Sea To Summit Comfort Deluxe Self Inflating Mattress, King Single
- Triphunter Gears Self Inflating Mattress, Single or Queen
How To Choose The Best Self Inflating Air Mattress 2022
There are so many different best self inflatable mattress Australia options these days that it can get overwhelming just looking through them. In this section, I’ll cover what features you need to keep an eye out for when choosing the best self inflating mattress for camping.
Size And Weight
One of the first things you’re going to want to think about when it comes to choosing the best self inflating air mattress for camping is the size and weight of the mattress or pad. You’ll want to think about whether you’re searching for a single person or multi-person camping pad (which are commonly available as double, queen or king single size). It goes without saying that the larger the surface of the pad, the more space it will take when rolled up in your car, too.
It’s important to think whether you want the lightest small self inflating mattress that you can take hiking with you, or whether you’re interested in a larger double self inflating mattress reviews.
For a comfortable camping experience, you’re also going to want to carefully consider the thickness of the self inflating sleeping mattress, mat or pad.
Many are designed to be slim so as to take up less space, but if you’re going to be wild camping and likely to be sleeping in rocky or rough terrain, then getting the best self inflating camping mat which also offers plenty of cushioning between you and the ground is important.
Thickness may be a trade-off between weight for some models that you will have to weigh up for your needs. For a comfortable night’s sleep, I recommend something thicker than 5cm.
R-value And Insulation
Another of the most important things to consider, especially if you’ll be using your inflatable mattress for camping in colder climates, is how warm it’s going to keep you.
The best self inflating camping pad or mattress should keep you nice and warm by keeping you insulated against the cold ground. The best way to tell how warm a mattress is going to keep you is by looking at the “R factor”.
The R factor tells you about the mattress or pad’s ability to resist heat loss to the ground – the higher the number (R factor), the warmer your best self inflating sleeping pad for camping will keep you through the night! The type of insulation will influence the R factor, so it’s the best metric to look at when considering how warm the mattress will keep you.
Comfort And Durability
As with any camping equipment, durability is an important factor to consider as well as how comfortable your best self inflating mat will keep you. This is especially important if you go on camping trips regularly and want something you can use often.
The best budget self inflating mat will likely not be the most comfortable or durable, but if you’re only going to use it occasionally, you may not mind. Whereas, if you want a self-inflating mattress review that will keep you comfortable for regular trips, it’s worth investing in a higher quality mat.
Bonded Or Non-Bonded?
If you’re looking for a cheap self inflating camping mattress, you’ll likely find that many of these options are non-bonded. Bonded means that the outside material is bonded to the foam inside, meaning that the air stays where it should and the foam doesn’t move around.
Getting a bonded pad or mattress is important where you’ll be sleeping in colder temperatures and where you want to ensure good comfort.
Inflation And Deflation
The best thing about a self inflating mattress is that you don’t have to worry about a pump! Many models are designed with valves that self-inflate and deflate in just a few seconds, making them the perfect no-fuss camping choice. Look out for manufacturers that have put a lot of effort into their valves as these are key for getting a great self-inflating mattress that will inflate and deflate quickly.
Other Great Features
As with much outdoor equipment, when you’re reading self inflating camping mattress reviews, you’ll find a whole host of features, some of which are handy, and some of which are not really needed. Here are some of the features that are worth having:
- Carry or Compression Bag – especially if you’re looking for the best self inflating hiking mattress, you’ll want a bag to keep your mat or mattress packed up small in.
- Compression Straps – If you don’t have a bag, straps can also do the job at keeping the mat small.
- Repair Kit – makes it easy to repair any air leaks or punctures while using your mattress.
Best Self-Inflating Camping Mattress Reviews Australia 2022
- Thickness: 10cm
- Sizes: Single or Double
- Weight: 7.3 kg (Single)
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 190 x 56 x 10 cm
First in my self inflating camping mat reviews is this stylish suede option. This Weisshorn self inflating mattress review is great if you’re looking for something affordable and straightforward.
This best 10cm self inflating mattress is also handy if you’re looking for joinable self inflating camping mats that can be used with a second one to form a double self inflating pad. The sleeping pad is slip resistant and roomy at a length of 190cm, so perfect for taller campers. It’s water resistant and suitable for use in most terrains.
This best self inflating pad comes with a 1 year warranty and carry bag, and is good quality for the money. The main drawback is its weight: At 7.3kg this pad is well suited for use in a campervan, or perhaps a car camping trip, but you definitely don’t want to be carrying it around too far.
- Self inflates within 60 seconds!
- This sleeping pad is waterproof, slip resistant & can be connected with another mat for a wider area
- Easily rolls up & includes a carry bag
- Heavy – 7.3 kg
- Quite big even when packed
- Thickness: 8cm
- Sizes: Double, Queen or King Single
- Weight: 6 kg (King Single)
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 195 x 80 x 10 cm
This Oztrail king single self inflating mattress review is definitely a great option to consider if you’re looking for the best self inflating sleeping mat Australia has.
High flow 2-way valves make this self inflating mattress super quick to set up or fold away. The mattress will even stay in a lofted state even if the valves get knocked or left open accidentally – so no need to worry about finding yourself on the cold floor in the middle of the night with this Oztrail self inflating mattress review.
The mattress is made from high density open cell foam for maximum comfort and support and is topped with a cool-touch velour for maximum comfort. Weighing 5kg, this mattress comes with compression straps and carry bag, and is another good option for caravans or car camping trips.
- Inflates & deflates easily with ExtractAir™ system – just open cap, wait, then it’s good to lie on!
- Made with slip resistant velour and vinyl base
- Quite hard to pack back into its storage
- Thickness: 12cm
- Sizes: Single, Double, Queen or King Single
- Weight: 5 kg (Single)
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 190 x 70 x 12 cm
If you’re looking for a larger size mat such as the best double self inflating mattress, then you will be interested in this Wanderer self inflating mattress review.
Available in both double and queen sizes, this is a heavy duty sleeping mat that features a PVC base for extra durability, while keeping you comfortable as you sleep with a soft flocked top. At 12cm thick, this is a great self inflating mattress to consider if you’re looking for something comfortable and suitable for use in a range of conditions. There are four valve ports, allowing for quick inflation and deflation.
This is a big piece of kit but comes with a heavy duty carry bag to keep it well-stored away when not in use. A good option for car camping trips or use in a trailer/van.
- Designed with four ports for fast & easy inflation/deflation
- Comes with a heavy duty carry bag for storage & a repair kit
- Sinks up easily
- Thickness: 10cm
- Sizes: Single or Queen
- Weight: 5.2 kg (Queen)
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 198 x 135 x 10 cm
Another option to consider if you’re looking for the best inflating double mattress is this model from Black Wolf.
With an R-value of 8.6, this Black Wolf self inflating mattress review is sure to keep you warm and cosy throughout the seasons and is great for longer camping trips or car camping. With 10cm thickness, this mattress has a non-slip base and high flow reversible one way valve for quick inflation/deflation. There’s a waterproof pump sack and repair kit included.
As far as self inflating camping mattress reviews go, this is a good one to go for if you want something large and comfortable that will keep you warm throughout winter camping trips as well.
- Designed with oversized, high flow reversible inflate valves for quicker & less inflating time
- Velcro side strips – if you wish to join two mats beside each other
- Made with microstretch top & non slip base material
- Includes a repair kit
- Thickness: 10cm
- Sizes: Single, Twin or King Single
- Weight: 7 kg (Twin)
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 201 x 132 x 10 cm
For our next best self inflating mattress review we have the Zempire Monstamat, which comes as a twin size measuring 201 x 132cm, so is great for anyone looking for a full length sleeping mat (perfect if you or your partner are on the taller side!).
This is a high quality mat which features 3D construction, 150D polyester base for strength, anti-bacterial treated foam, open cell foam structure, compression straps and perhaps best of all it has a no-noise surface – so no need to worry about rustling noises all night from your partner moving around!
Weighing 7kg this is another good option for those looking to invest in a high quality camping mattress for car camping trips or use in a trailer or campervan. The price tag is not cheap, but you are paying for quality here. At 10cm thick with some great specs, this one gets my vote as the best self inflating mattress for car camping.
- Valve is designed two way with wide opening for higher air volume to get in/out faster
- No noise, stretchy surface that contour to your body shape with reduced noise for a better rest
- Includes a carry bag & repair kit
- Quite heavy – 7 kg
- Thickness: 10cm
- Sizes: Large or XX Large
- Weight: 2.4 kg (XX Large)
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 200 x 76 x 11 cm
If you’re looking for the best self inflating mattress backpacking option, then you’ll be interested in this Thermarest self inflating mattress review for sure.
Weighing just 2.4kg, this self inflating mattress is super lightweight as well as offering a generous length of 200cm for the taller hiker/backpacker. It has a 10cm thickness and is built with a StrataCore construction, for additional stability and plushness. Clever space saving features include vertical sidewalls to make the most of the sleeping area, and the foam core (R Value 8.0) delivers all season warmth and comfort.
If you’re looking for a great single self inflating mattress that’s light enough to carry wherever you go, then this self inflating mat review is certainly one of my favourite options for backpacking. The mattress comes with a stuff sack included.
- Easily compresses for easy packing & storage
- TwinLock, two one way valves – separate for inflation and deflation
- Very Expensive
- Tricky inflation/deflation
- Thickness: 6.4cm
- Sizes: Single
- Weight: 2.3 kg
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 70 x 18 x 18 cm
Another good backpacking option for hiking camping trips is this Coleman self inflating mat review, especially if you’re looking to save packing space by choosing a sleeping mat with a pillow included.
This self-inflating sleeping mat is designed to provide extra cushioning on camping trips and has free-flow valves for easy self-inflation. The compression straps (included) help to force air out for quick deflation. There’s a durable polyester shell, making it suitable for use in different terrains, and a soft tufted design for additional sleeping comfort.
Weighing 2.28kg, this Coleman self inflating mattress review is a good one to consider if you’re looking for a simple self-inflating mat that’s suitable for backpacking.
- Cheaper than most brands
- Free flow valve – no air pump needed to inflate
- Made of weather resistant polyester shell that can endure many uses
- Does its job considering its price!
- Thickness: 7.5cm
- Sizes: Single
- Weight: 2.7 kg
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 196 x 64 x 7.5 cm
If you’re after the best lightweight self inflating mat, another great option to consider is this Kathmandu self inflating mattress review.
The Kathmandu Cabana has a thickness of 7.5cm, so less than many of the others in these reviews, but the advantage of that is it’s incredibly light, at just 2.7kg. As far as self inflating mats reviews go, you’ll be hard pushed to beat that!
This mat is suitable for four season use with an R value of 7.5 and can join with another Kathmandu Cabana mat by simply snapping them together to make a double mat. It features anti-slip surfaces, foam core and 150D oxford polyester linings and comes with a handy repair kit. Last but not least, it provides a generous 196cm length.
- Lightweight – 2.66 kg
- Designed with snap domes to easily connect with another mat from with the same compatibility
- Comes with a repair kit
- Cheap valve attachment
- Thickness: 10cm
- Sizes: King Single
- Weight: 0.9 kg
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 182.9 x 10.2 x 63.5 cm
Another lightweight option popular with backpackers and hikers for camping trips is this Sea to Summit self inflating sleeping pad. This is a good model to consider, especially if you’re looking for a little added comfort compared to some of the super lightweight pads.
Features include 10cm thickness and vertical sidewalls for maximum sleeping space, durable 75D polyester with a 30D stretch knit fabric on top for a soft “next to skin” feeling on the top of the sleeping mat. The mat uses a single multi-function valve for both easy deflation and inflation. This mat has an R value of 5.2 and can be used year round in moderate climates.
Weighing 907grams, this mat is light enough to take with you on backpacking trips or for a bit of extra comfort on car camping trips.
- Very light – 0.9 kg
- Multi function valve for quick self inflation & easy deflation into a compact fold mat
- Designed with large horizontal triangular cores that makes it lighter & more portable without reducing support and comfort
- Quite difficult to pack up
- Thickness: 10cm
- Sizes: Single or Queen
- Weight: 4.3 kg (Single)
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 190 x 85 x 10 cm
Last but not least in my best self inflating camping mattress reviews is this Kings self inflating mattress review.
Using a mixture of air and foam, the Kings self inflating mattress is 10cm thick with a soft velour top for a comfortable night’s sleep away from home. It fits into most swags, tents or you can use them in your camper van. They feature a PVC anti-slip base and removable valves for faster inflation and deflation and provide 190cm length of sleeping space.
Available in multiple sizes, the Adventure Kings self inflating mattresses are hard to beat if you’re looking for a cheap and straightforward but comfy inflatable mattress for your next car camping trip.
- Topped with soft flock upper and PVC base for easy care & cleaning
- Easy to pack up with adjustable straps and included carry bag for storage
- Takes some time to inflate
I hope you find this guide helpful in choosing the best self inflating mattress Australia has to offer. Read our guides to the best camping mattress, best air mattress, best tent, best camping fridge or the best camping chair. Find more of our travel or camping guides here.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.