Are you on the hunt for the perfect duffel bag? You’re in the right place. This article is packed with all the information you need to know to find the duffel bag best for you. Even if you’re looking for an answer to the basic question of “what is a duffel bag?” you’ll find out here.
No matter which kind of duffel bag you need, we have you covered, from the extra small duffel bag to the best large duffel bag with wheels. We’ve also tracked down other styles of duffel bags ranging from the best sports duffel bag to the best gym duffel bag with shoe compartment, and heaps more!
Keep reading because you will find everything you need to know to pick the best duffel bag for you below including a comparison chart of all the best small duffel bag for travel, a full guide to the main features to consider when looking for the best duffel bag for travel and, finally, individual reviews of each of the best duffel bag 2022 options. This will help you whether you are looking for a small duffle bag, extra large duffel bags or something else entirely.
- 1 Our Pick For The Best Duffel Bag Australia 2022
- 2 Compare Top 10 Of The Best Duffel Bags Australia 2022
- 3 Top 10 Best Travel Duffel Bags 2022
- 4 How To Choose The Best Travel Duffel Bag 2022
- 5 Top Best Travel Duffel Bag Review Australia 2022
- 5.1 The North Face Base Camp Small Duffel Bag Review
- 5.2 Caribee Expedition Duffel Bag Review
- 5.3 Marmot Long Hauler Small Duffel Review
- 5.4 BlackWolf Duffelpak 50L Review
- 5.5 The North Face Berkeley Small Duffel Review
- 5.6 Eagle Creek No Matter What Flashpoint Medium Duffel Review
- 5.7 Olympia 26″ Pocket Rolling Duffel Bag Review
- 5.8 Samsonite Rewind Wheeled Duffle Bag Review
- 5.9 Osprey Transporter 65L Duffle Bag Review
- 5.10 OZtrail Canvas Large Duffle Bag Review
- 5.11 Related posts:
Our Pick For The Best Duffel Bag Australia 2022
Just want to get the best buy duffel bag in Australia right now? Great! This is our top pick.
The North Face Base Camp Small Duffel Bag wins this one. It’s waterproof and convertible to a backpack. Most importantly, this is a premium quality duffel bag that is pretty much guaranteed to last you years of travels and adventures.
Compare Top 10 Of The Best Duffel Bags Australia 2022
Here’s a duffel bag comparison chart so you can select the best large duffel bag for your individual needs. Use this table to compare the features of the best waterproof duffel bag in Australia. If you want more information on a product or the current price, click on the product name.
|The North Face Base Camp Small Duffel Bag||50L||Ballistic Nylon, Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE)||Yes||53 x 32.5 x 32.5 cm||Click||Compression straps, padded side handles, end cap mesh sleeve||4.5|
|Caribee Expedition Duffel Bag||120L||PVC Tarpaulin||Yes||90 x 38 x 38 cm||Click||Removable padded shoulder straps, end haul handles, webbing grab handles, compression straps||5.0|
|Marmot Long Hauler Small Duffel||35L||1000D TPE Laminate (Phthalate-Free) 100% Nylon Ballistics||Yes||56 x 29 x 27 cm||Click||Removable shoulder strap, zippered pocket on end, side handles / haul loops, internal pockets||4.0|
|BlackWolf Duffelpak 50L||50L||600D Polyester PU||No||60 x 35 x 30 cm||Click||Lockable zippers, shoulder strap||5.0|
|The North Face Berkeley Small Duffel||35L||600D Polyester with Non-PFC Durable Water-repellent Finish||Yes||52 x 29 x 24 cm||Click||Padded side straps with leather connector, zippered side pockets, external haul loops||4.5|
|Eagle Creek No Matter What Flashpoint Medium Duffel||59L||Bi-Tech Fabric||Yes||61 x 30 x 28 cm||Click||Lockable exterior zippers, wheels, center haul handle, side grab handles||4.0|
|Olympia 26″ Pocket Rolling Duffel Bag||79L||Protectflon Polyester with 1200D Polyester||No||66 x 35.6 x 33 cm||Click||Wheels, locking retractable handle, convenient pockets||4.0|
|Samsonite Rewind Wheeled Duffle Bag||113L||300 Denier Polyester Ripstop, 150 Denier Polyester Ripstop||No||82 x 44 x 33 cm||Click||Wheels, corner guards, adjustable side compression straps||5.0|
|Osprey Transporter 65L Duffle Bag||65L||840D Nylon TPU Double Coated||Yes||60 x 36 x 32 cm||Click||Multiple carry options, zippered pockets, ID card holder||5.0|
|OZtrail Canvas Large Duffle Bag||100L||14oz Canvas||No||80 x 35 x 35 cm||Click||Webbing handles, bound seams||4.0|
Top 10 Best Travel Duffel Bags 2022
Find our handy list of the best duffel bags – see our full best duffel bag review further below.
- The North Face Base Camp Small Duffel Bag, 50L
- Caribee Expedition Duffel Bag, 120L
- Marmot Long Hauler Small Duffel, 35L
- BlackWolf Duffelpak, 50L
- The North Face Berkeley Small Duffel, 35L
- Eagle Creek No Matter What Flashpoint Medium Duffel, 59L
- Olympia 26″ Pocket Rolling Duffel Bag, 79L
- Samsonite Rewind Wheeled Duffel Bag, 113L
- Osprey Transporter Duffel Bag, 65L
- OZtrail Canvas Large Duffel Bag, 100L
How To Choose The Best Travel Duffel Bag 2022
If you want to find the very best backpack/duffel bag, you should first get familiar with the various features and kinds of duffel bags that are available. For example, if you want the best carry on duffel bag for international travel, you’ll need to look for one that fits the airline size regulations. If you need a laptop duffel bag, look for a bag that has a special compartment for your laptop.
Keep reading to learn about the most common features offered for duffel bags.
Pay close attention to the capacity of the bag you’re considering – this is usually given in litres. The best weekend duffel bag is probably one that’s not super large, for example. Large travel duffel bags are great for packing in everything you need, just be sure the dimensions are not over the size limit if you need the best carry on duffel bags (usually 56 x 36 x 23 cm).
Also, if the bag is very large, getting the best duffel bag with wheels is a good idea. If you’re after the best cheap duffel bag that is large, ensure the quality is high enough to hold a large, heavy load.
Duffel bags come in a range of materials. Perhaps you’re looking for the best leather duffel bags for travel or large canvas duffle bags. There’s not really one material that is better than another, but different materials will give you a different style of bag.
The best duffel bag for gym and work is probably one that mixes smart with casual (check our reviews further down). The most important thing to consider is whether the bag is constructed well – using a strong material that is stitched together well.
Not all duffel bags will be suitable for all weather conditions. It’s advisable to check and see if the bag is waterproof or water resistant in case you need to use it in the rain.
A “waterproof” duffel bag should be entirely impenetrable by water. If you’re wanting to keep electronics in your bag, this is a great feature to have. A water resistant bag should keep your things dry unless the rain is particularly heavy or prolonged. If you’re looking for large sports duffel bags that you can take hiking or camping, waterproof material is a must.
Size And Bag Dimensions
If you need a compact duffel bag, you’ll want to look for a small to medium sized bag so that you can take it with you without too much trouble. If you’re looking for an extra large bag, consider getting the best rolling duffel bags for travel since this will allow you to transport it without bearing the weight on your back.
Remember that if you’re taking your bag on the plane (as carry on luggage) it should measure around 56 x 36 x 23 cm (check with the airline for the exact size requirements). See our review section down below to find the best carry on duffel bag 2022.
Other Great Features
The above features are important to consider, but there are other features that are nice to have and can play a part in a duffel bag being your ideal travel companion.
- Pockets – interior and exterior pockets make organisation easier. External pockets can hold things like your water bottle or sunglasses for easy retrieval.
- Convertible to a backpack – some duffel bags can be worn on your back but also can be carried by hand or on your shoulder. Some allow you to stow the straps away too.
- Collapsible – these kinds of bags can be compactly packed down into a smaller pouch similar to festival ponchos. The best packable duffel bag for travel is such a handy and diverse thing to have.
- Shoulder straps – super handy for transporting your bag, particularly if you’ll be carrying it for extended periods.
- Wheels – you might be interested in getting the best wheeled duffel bag for travel. Wheels mean you don’t always have to carry your bag and can make the best duffel bag for men and women who will be carrying their bag longer distances.
- Handles – carrying handles are always useful. Some bags have more than one which means you can carry the bag in your preferred way.
Top Best Travel Duffel Bag Review Australia 2022
- Capacity: 50L
- Material: Ballistic Nylon, Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE)
- Waterproof: Yes
- Dimension: 32.5 x 53 x 32.5 cm
Whether you’re looking for the best duffel backpack for travel or the best adventure duffel bag to bring anywhere, this North Face Base Camp Small Duffel Bag is perfect. It’s made of ballistic nylon and TPE and is convertible from a duffel bag to a backpack, whichever suits you best at the time.
For those who love to keep things organised, it comes with a zippered mesh sleeve inside the end cap for things you want to separate such as keys or your wallet. It’s made with detachable and adjustable shoulder straps to fit you better and padded side handles that act as both carry and haul handles.
This North Face duffel bag large best price offer measures 32.5 x 53 x 32.5 cm (there are other sizes to pick from) and can fit up to 50 litres of stuff. With four colours and six sizes to choose from, you’ll definitely find the one that’ll suit your needs.
- Duffel bag & backpack in one
- Designed with a wide D zip opening to easily access the main compartment
- Has two compartments on both ends perfect for shoes or other things that need to be separated from the main pocket
- Bit pricey for a 50L capacity bag but great quality
- Capacity: 120L
- Material: PVC Tarpaulin
- Waterproof: Yes
- Dimension: 90 x 38 x 38 cm
This Caribee Expedition Duffel Bag is rated one of best waterproof duffel bags 2022. It’s perfect if you love outdoor activities such as fishing, camping, or just travelling in general and looking for a large travel duffel bag that doubles as a backpack. Its heavy duty PVC tarpaulin outer material, welded seams, and secure roll top with side QR buckle points make this bag completely water and dustproof.
The padded shoulder straps that come with the bag are removable and the whole bag is designed with multiple handles and straps for easier handling, such as its 3.8 cm thick webbing grab handles, 2.5 cm thick QR compression straps, and end haul handles. There are also two zippered mesh pockets inside where you can store smaller items.
This bag measures 90 x 38 x 38 cm and has a capacity of 120 litres. If you’re looking for a large, roll top duffel bag with a stylish all black design, check this one out for sure.
- Super water resistant
- Huge capacity
- Too large to be used as carry on luggage
- Capacity: 35L
- Material: 1000D TPE Laminate (Phthalate-Free) 100% Nylon Ballistics
- Waterproof: Yes
- Dimension: 29 x 56 x 27 cm
There are a bunch of big duffel bags on the market, and you might have been having a hard time finding the best small gym duffel bag – this small black duffle bag by Marmot might be it. The Marmot Long Hauler Duffel is made of a water shedding fabric – 1000D TPE phthalate-free laminate 100% nylon ballistics – so it could make the perfect bag to bring camping, on day trips or any destination.
This bag is designed with a double bottom for greater durability and a large D shaped main zipper with a rain flap so it’s not just easy to access, but helps in keeping the weather out too. It features detachable and adjustable carrying handles which act as shoulder straps as well as side handles. It’s designed with multiple pockets in and out for better storage and organisation.
This 35L capacity duffel bag measures 29 x 56 x 27 cm and only weighs 0.9 kg so it’s great for those who are looking for a compact, lightweight bag. It could also make the best duffel bag for carry on use.
- Designed with multiple internal & external pockets for easy & better sorting
- Medium, large & XL version of this design has zippered pockets
- Side zippered pockets not included on the small size
- Capacity: 50L
- Material: 600D Polyester PU
- Waterproof: No
- Dimension: 60 x 35 x 30 cm
If you need the best big duffel bag that’s still lightweight and compact, take a look at the BlackWolf Duffelpak made of tough, durable 600D Polyester PU material. What makes this bag very compact is that it can easily be packed away into its own front pocket so it’s perfect to bring on travels/adventures.
If you’re just looking for a simple duffel bag that has the basic features you’ll need such as a shoulder strap, handles, and a front zipped pocket, you could definitely go for this one and save a bunch of money. Another plus feature that this bag offers are the lockable zippers so you’re ensured that your belongings are kept safe.
With its capacity of 50L and dimensions of 60 x 35 x 30 cm, the BlackWolf DuffelPak only weighs 0.5 kg. Choose from three other available sizes (up to 150L) and four colours: chilli, titanium, black, and blue.
- Cheap price
- Compact – can fit into its own pocket when not in use
- Available in four sizes: 30L, 50L, 100L and 150L
- Designed with zippers that are fully lockable
- No solid base to the bag since it’s collapsible
- Capacity: 35L
- Material: 600D Polyester with Non-PFC Durable Water-repellent Finish
- Waterproof: Yes
- Dimension: 29 x 52 x 24 cm
The best duffel bag brands on the market are not just about quality and a great price but sustainability too such as this Berkeley Duffel from The North Face. It’s made of recycled fabric with a durable, water repellent finish.
It’s made easy to carry with two padded side straps that have a leather connector and four haul loops from which shoulder straps can be attached if you choose. It features a zippered main pocket and two outside zippered pockets on both sides.
This smaller 35L duffel bag measures 29 x 52 x 24 cm meaning it could make the best travel duffel bag carry on for eco conscious travellers.
- Made of sustainable material
- Water repellent
- Small capacity – may not be suitable as a sole bag for travellers
- Capacity: 59L
- Material: Bi-Tech Fabric
- Waterproof: Yes
- Dimension: 61 x 30 x 28 cm
If you need the best camping duffel bag, it would be a shame not to check out the Eagle Creek No Matter What Flashpoint Duffel. Aside from being one of the best collapsible duffel bag models (it can be rolled & placed in a stuff pouch when not in use), it’s made of Bi Tech fabric which makes it weatherproof, abrasion resistant, and it’s designed with a protective storm flap that acts as a shield even in tough weather.
This bag has adjustable and removable shoulder straps, side grab handles, external compression straps, and a non-slip centre haul handle for versatility. To ensure the safety of your belongings, it’s designed with lockable exterior zippers. It also features a zippered front pocket for items you need to easily access.
You can choose from four different sizes from this range but this 59L option measures 61 x 30 x 28 cm and is available in red clay, black, and slate blue colours. One more great features is that the stuff sack can be used as a wet pocket for things like towels or dirty sports gear.
- Collapsible – foldable into a small sack
- Fully lockable exterior zippers for added security of belongings
- Weatherproof & abrasion resistant
- No firm, solid base since it’s a collapsible duffel bag
- Capacity: 79L
- Material: Protecflon Polyester with 1200D Polyester
- Waterproof: No
- Dimension: 66 x 35.6 x 33 cm
If you want the best convertible duffel bag that’s a bit different, check out this duffel bag with inline skate wheels. Its outer material is made of Protecflon Polyester with 1200 D poly and has reinforced, recessed metal ball bearing wheels.
Designed with eight external pockets, this duffel bag is great for organising. The retractable handle is lockable with a push button but also has a hideaway zipper pocket in case you’d prefer not to use it.
This bag could make the best duffel bag for checked luggage with its wheels and plentiful pockets. It measures 66 x 35.6 x 33 cm and may be the best lightweight duffel bag with wheels since it only weighs about 2.6 kg. This variant is available in seven colour options.
- Very affordable compared to many wheeled duffel bags
- Not quite as light as other duffel bags – 2.6kg as it’s designed with wheels and a big main compartment with numerous external pockets
- Capacity: 113L
- Material: 300 Denier Polyester Ripstop, 150 Denier Polyester Ripstop
- Waterproof: No
- Dimension: 82 x 44 x 33 cm
Wondering what is the best rolling duffel bag for international travel? You might want to check out the features of this Samsonite Rewind Wheeled Duffle Bag. This bag is made of polyester ripstop and is available in other sizes too.
It has a double compartment for better sorting as well as a large zipped front pocket for personal belongings such as accessories or tech gadgets. If you worry about abrasions, this bag is designed with corner guards and a large kick plate on the back and bottom for protection. There are two adjustable side compression straps to secure the bag.
Although a bit heavy – 3.2 kg, it can carry up to 113L (for this size) with its 82 x 44 x 33 cm dimensions. It’s designed with quality wheels with higher housing and a kick plate so even if it’s full, it’s safe and easy to wheel around, making it the perfect choice for those needing the best duffel bag for air travel.
- Sizes available range from small to extra large so you can find the perfect capacity for your needs
- Wheels that are easy to control even when the bag is packed to the brim
- A bit pricey but this is an extra large, premium duffel bag
- Capacity: 65L
- Material: 840D Nylon TPU Double Coated
- Waterproof: Yes
- Dimension: 60 x 36 x 32 cm
The best brands for duffel bags should offer all the features you’ll need even in their smallest product, just like this Osprey Transporter Duffel Bag. It’s small yet very durable and reliable with its 840D nylon TPU double coated, weather resistant material. It’s also convertible into a backpack.
Designed with multiple carry options including over the shoulder, backpack, and tote style and numerous zippered pockets, this duffle will definitely make your backpacking easy and convenient. Aside from being the best backpacking duffel bags, these bags have eight side panel web lashing points and four lower web lashing points.
This bag measures 60 x 36 x 32 cm and weighs 1.4 kg, with a 65L capacity. If you want the best duffel bag backpack from a well known brand, you won’t want to pass up on the Osprey Transporter.
- Backpack convertible
- Multiple pockets & handles
- Provides greater security with harnesses & zippers
- A bit pricey for its capacity
- Capacity: 100L
- Material: 14oz Canvas
- Waterproof: No
- Dimension: 80 x 35 x 35 cm
This tough, heavy duty Oztrail duffle bag made of 14oz canvas might just be the best canvas duffle bag that’s cheap and yet multipurpose – it can be used in a range of different ways with its large capacity. Just note though that this one isn’t waterproof.
Designed with reinforced bound seams and heavy duty webbing handles that continuously wrap around its bottom, this duffel is designed to be ultra strong and durable.
With a capacity of 100 litres and dimensions of 80 x 35 x 35 cm, the OZtrail Canvas Duffle Bag could definitely make the best duffel bag for camping, holidays, or any trip where you need to bring plenty of kit. You can choose whichever size from this range that suits you best too.
- Very affordable
- Available in different sizes including medium, large, and extra large
- Material is not waterproof
I hope you enjoyed this guide and find it helpful in choosing the best duffel bag for you! Also looking for backpacks and other camping essentials? Read about the best travel backpacks, best carry on backpack, best hiking backpacks, best camera bag, best pop up tent and best toiletry bags for travel. Or find more guides to the best camping gear here.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.