Whether you’re a pro, a beginner, or just love taking photos as a hobby, having the best buy camera backpack takes your mind off worrying about your kit and lets you focus on photography. If you’re wondering which is the best DSLR camera bag for travel, the best bag for mirrorless camera, or even the best cheap camera bag, this article is here to help.
Finding the best travel camera backpack or the best camera sling bag for travel might seem easy, but there are tons of things you need to consider if you want to find the perfect product for your needs. Our guide will help you in understanding all the different features and styles of camera bags to find the one that suits you.
Keep reading because you will find everything you need to know to pick the best camera bag 2021 offers below, including a comparison chart of all the best travel camera bag 2021 options, a full guide to the main features to consider when looking for the best small DSLR camera bag for travel and, finally, individual reviews of each of the best camera bags Australia options. This will help you whether you are looking for the best large camera bag or the best sling camera bag or something else entirely.
- 1 Our Pick For Best Small Camera Bag For Travel Australia 2021
- 2 Compare The Top 10 Best Camera Bags For Travel Australia 2021
- 3 Top 10 Best Camera Bag For Travel Photography Australia 2021
- 4 How To Choose The Best Camera Travel Bag 2021
- 5 Top Camera Bags 2021 Reviews Australia
- 5.1 Think Tank Tumstyle 20 V2 Review
- 5.2 Lowepro ProTactic 350 AW II Review
- 5.3 Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L Review
- 5.4 Tenba Axis 24L Review
- 5.5 Vanguard Veo Discover 46 Review
- 5.6 Manfrotto Prolight Redbee 110 Review
- 5.7 Lowepro LP37161 M-Trekker SH 150 Review
- 5.8 Crumpler Triple A Camera Hobo Review
- 5.9 Crumpler Light Delight 6000 Review
- 5.10 MindShift Gear PhotoCross 10 Review
- 5.11 Related posts:
Our Pick For Best Small Camera Bag For Travel Australia 2021
Just want to buy the best camera and laptop bag right now? Great! This is our top pick.
This very lightweight and portable sling bag from Think Tank is available in three sizes. It features an easy to use rotate feature and stabiliser strap. Most importantly, it’s constructed using quality materials that will protect your camera and should last you for years to come.
Compare The Top 10 Best Camera Bags For Travel Australia 2021
Here’s a camera bag comparison chart so you can select the best bag for DSLR camera, for example, for your situation. Use this table to compare the features of the best camera bags 2021 options in Australia. If you want more information on a product or the current price, click on the product name.
|Name||Image||Type||Capacity / Fit||Inner Size (HxWxD)||Outer Size (HxWxD)||Weight||Price||Features||Rating|
|Think Tank Tumstyle 20 V2||Sling||Standard DSLR, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 attached, 10-inch tablet||38 x 21 x 12.2 cm||44 x 23.5 x 13.7 cm||0.5kg||Click||Stabiliser strap, padded tablet pocket||4.0|
Lowepro ProTactic 350 AW II
|Backpack||1-2 Standard DSLRs, one with 24-70mm f/2.8 lens attached, 8 lenses-speedlights, Mavic, Osmo, 360 cam||40 x 26 x 12.5 cm||47 x 30 x 18 cm||2.2kg||Click||Removable rain cover, CradleFit compartment, multiple access points||4.5|
|Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L||Backpack||DSLR camera body/lens + 2-3 extra lens||41 x 27 x 15 cm||46 x 30 x 17 cm||1.9kg||Click||Laptop sleeve, expandable capacity, removable sternum strap||4.0|
|Tenba Axis 24L||Backpack||1-2 Mirrorless DSLR or Cine cameras, 6-8 lenses up to 400mm f/2.8, 17-inch laptop||49 x 29 x 17 cm||51 x 32 x 24 cm||0.7kg||Click||3 point access, tripod compatible, height adjustable harness||4.5|
|Vanguard Veo Discover 46||Backpack / Sling||Pro DSLR, 3-4 lenses, flashgun, 13-inch laptop, tripod and small accessories||45 x 24 x 18 cm||46 x 30 x 23.5 cm||1.1kg||Click||Left & right side access, rear tablet & laptop compartment||5.0|
|Manfrotto Prolight Redbee 110||Backpack||2 Premium CSC bodies and a 70/200 mm lens attached, additional lenses||44 x 28 x 15 cm||47 x 30 x 24 cm||1.4kg||Click||External tripod connection, removable rain cover||4.0|
|Lowepro LP37161 M-Trekker SH 150||Shoulder||Mirrorless camera kit, GorillaPod, LED lighting, audio equipment and tablet||26 x 10 x 17 cm||28.5 x 13 x 19.5 cm||0.5kg||Click||Zippered main compartment, padded interior dividers||4.0|
|Crumpler Triple A Camera Hobo||Shoulder||Semi-professional SLR camera with mid-size zoom lens, mid-size zoom lens, flash, accessories||37 x 29 x 11 cm||38 x 30 x 12 cm||0.4kg||Click||Removable padded camera pouch, adjustable shoulder strap||5.0|
|Crumpler Light Delight 6000||Shoulder||Semi-professional SLR camera with mid-size zoom lens, extra mid-size zoom lens, flash, accessories||32 x 20 x 13.5 cm||37.5 x 25 x 15 cm||0.4kg||Click||Adjustable shoulder strap, Prince Charles protective seal, velcro fastened flap||5.0|
|MindShift Gear PhotoCross 10||Sling||Ungripped DSLR, 1-2 lenses, 10-inch tablet OR mirrorless body, 3-5 lenses, 10-inch tablet||31.8 x 18 x 12.2 cm||40.5 x 28 x 16 cm||1.0kg||Click||Padded tablet compartment, water bottle holder, removable rain cover||4.0|
Top 10 Best Camera Bag For Travel Photography Australia 2021
Find our handy list of the best camera backpack for hiking 2021 – see our full best camera shoulder bag review further below.
- Lowepro ProTactic 350 AW II, Backpack
- Peak Design Everyday 20L, Backpack
- Tenba Axis 24L, Backpack, Backpack
- Vanguard Veo Discover 46, Backpack/Sling
- Manfrotto Prolight Redbee 110, Backpack
- Lowepro LP37161 M-Trekker SH 150, Shoulder
- Think Tank Tumstyle 20 V2, Sling
- Crumpler Triple A Camera Hobo, Shoulder
- Crumpler Light Delight 6000, Shoulder
- MindShift Gear PhotoCross 10, Sling
How To Choose The Best Camera Travel Bag 2021
There are hundreds of great camera bags out there but it’s important to remember that “one size fits all” doesn’t apply to camera bags. Finding the best one for you means deciding between a bunch of factors and features.
Below are the features we think you should know about and consider before deciding which one to buy and some extra features that’ll make your camera bag experience even better. Whether you’re searching for the best women’s camera bag, men’s camera bag, or even just curious what a top loading camera bag is, this guide will definitely help you.
When talking about camera bags, you may think at first that they’re all the same, but do you know that there are actually different types of camera bags?
Here’s a short guide on some of the most common camera bag types:
- Backpack – usually, these types are spacious although could be a bit bulky if you don’t choose carefully. The best camera bag backpack usually has multiple access points.
- Sling bag – the best sling bag for camera should offer a similar amount of space as large camera backpacks but are easier to access, though may not be suitable for super heavy loads.
- Shoulder bag – also known as messenger bags. The best messenger camera bag 2021 is often cheap and lightweight but not as spacious and may not be the best for organising a lot of gear.
- Waist/belt bag – the best camera waist pack for hiking or travelling is functional and easy to access.
Carrying Capacity And Fit
Since bags have different sizes, they of course have different capacities as well. After deciding what type of camera bag is best for you, look at the capacity of the bag and determine if it’s suitable for your camera and the amount of other gear you want to bring.
Usually, the carrying capacities of camera bags are stated and they even list the types of cameras, lenses, and other things that fit in a specific bag. For example, some will be the best camera bag for mirrorless system and some will be the best camera bag DSLR.
Inner And Outer Dimensions
Camera bags are specifically designed to protect your camera gear, especially from any knocks or bumps. The interior and exterior dimensions of bags will not just give you an idea of how spacious it is, but how thick the padding is and therefore the level of protection it’ll provide for your equipment and accessories. Each bag’s padding thickness differs so you should definitely take note of this.
Note though that too much padding has the downside of added bulkiness. For our reviews below, we’ve listed both the inner and outer dimensions of each bag separately so you can see and compare them easily.
Before buying a camera bag, you should consider the weight of the bag alone. The lightest camera bags, although great for portability and ease of carrying, may not offer enough padding for your valuable gear. Even the best large DSLR camera bag may be too bulky for some photographers, especially if you’re someone who’s always travelling to remote photo spots. If that sounds like you, you may want to look for the best hiking camera bag.
Don’t worry too much though – there are plenty of modern camera bags that offer the right combination of support, protection, and compactness (just check out our reviews further down).
Other Great Features
As there are hundreds of available camera bags these days, from the best camera bag for wedding photographers, the best backpack for camera and drone, the best mirrorless camera bag 2021, and tons of other types, extra features can make a particular bag stand out from the rest. Here are some other nice to have features you can find on the very best buy DSLR camera bag products:
- Material – look for the type of materials used as some are weatherproof, waterproof, and/or abrasion resistant.
- No. of pockets & compartments – the more pockets & compartments, the easier it is to organise your gear and accessories. However, too many will add bulkiness.
- Detachable dividers – the best camera bag for DSLR and lenses as well as other types of cameras allow you to detach/attach internal dividers and use the bag as a normal compartmentless bag. You can also find bags with customisable dividers so you can adjust each space to perfectly cover and protect each accessory.
- Laptop or tablet sleeve – the best laptop and camera bag provides your laptop/tablet with extra protection. Before buying the best camera laptop bag though, check to see it’ll definitely fit your laptop/tablet.
- Waterproof cover – some camera bags include a (usually removable) waterproof cover. If you need a small waterproof camera bag best buy take a look at our reviews just down below.
Top Camera Bags 2021 Reviews Australia
- Type: Sling
- Capacity/Fits: Standard DSLR, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 attached, 10-inch tablet
- Interior Dimensions: 38 x 21 x 12.2cm
- Exterior Dimensions: 44 x 23.5 x 13.7cm
- Weight: 0.5kg
This bag is perfect for those looking for the best adventure camera backpack. The Think Tank Turnstyle 20V2 is a light sling bag that’s easily rotatable from your back to the front in case you need to get your camera or change lenses while wearing it.
It’s designed to carry your DSLR, lens, a 10 inch tablet, and has a front pocket for things like memory cards, batteries, and chargers. Along with a wide shoulder strap, it’s designed to be slim and conform to your body so it’s comfortable to wear even after hours of shooting. The interior dividers can be fully adjusted according to your preferences.
This sling bag weighs 0.5 kg and includes a seam sealed cover for protection against rain. You’re able to choose from three sizes of the Think Tank Turnstyle 20V2.
- Stabiliser strap – makes sure the bag stays in place even if you need to run with the bag on
- Customisable interior dividers
- This sling style bag is great for easy access to your gear but may put strain on one shoulder when carrying a heavy load. Note that you can twist the bag around to your front to swap the shoulder bearing the load
- Type: Backpack
- Capacity/Fits: 1-2 Standard DSLRs, one with 24-70mm f/2.8 lens attached, 8 lenses-speedlights, Mavic, Osmo, 360 cam
- Interior Dimensions: 40 x 26 x 12.5cm
- Exterior Dimensions: 47 x 30 x 18cm
- Weight: 2.12kg
Lowepro is a well known and respected camera bag manufacturer. If you’re looking for the best buy Lowepro camera bags in performance, construction, and protection, definitely consider the ProTactic BP 350 AW II.
This might be the best Lowepro camera backpack. For starters, it can convert into a utility belt. It also has an adaptive interior design, where you can fit most standard sized DSLRs and lenses, as well as a laptop of up to 13 inches in its CradleFit compartment. Whether you’re wearing it on your back or as a utility belt, this bag gives you easy access to your gear with its four access points meaning you don’t need to take your bag off to get to your stuff.
Although this bag is a little on the heavy side (2.12 kg) you get plenty of space. Aside from the main compartment of this best Lowepro camera bag, there’s also a utility pouch, water bottle holder, tripod cup, two quick straps, and a fold away, all weather cover that’ll protect your bag from snow, rain, sand, and dust.
- Convertible – backpack/utility bag
- Four access points
- Type: Backpack
- Capacity/Fits: DSLR camera body/lens + 2-3 extra lens
- Interior Dimensions: 41 x 27 x 15cm
- Exterior Dimensions: 46 x 30 x 17cm
- Weight: 1.9kg
For those who are specifically looking for a bag for laptop and camera, this Peak Design Everyday Backpack might just be the best bag for camera and laptop you can buy. Wear it as a crossbody or single shoulder bag.
You’re able to easily access your gear with its patented MagLatch feature allowing you to open the main compartment using a single hand. It’s designed with both internal and side external pockets. The FlexFold dividers give you the freedom to customise the interior dividers and the protective laptop sleeve can store laptops up to 13 inches in size.
The Peak Design Everyday Backpack is a bigger capacity bag, weighing around 1.9 kg. It may not be the best cheap camera backpack option, but with this number of features and the premium quality of this bag, it’s a worthwhile investment.
- Diverse carrying options
- One hand main pocket access
- Customisable dividers, stretchy internal pockets & side external pockets
- Very pricey
- Type: Backpack
- Capacity/Fits: 1-2 Mirrorless DSLR or Cine cameras, 6-8 lenses up to 400mm f/2.8, 17-inch laptop
- Interior Dimensions: 49 x 29 x 17cm
- Exterior Dimensions: 51 x 32 x 24cm
- Weight: 0.7kg
This best photography backpack product also doubles as the best camera bag with laptop compartment, hitting two birds with one stone. If you like to bring all your gear with you, a great laptop camera bag like this Tenba Axis is what you need.
This very lightweight backpack can fit up to 17 inch laptops – that’s right, even your big bulky laptop can come on your shooting adventures. It also packs battery pouches, memory card wallets, and is compatible to carry any tripod size. You can access your camera from its side, top, or the rear.
Even with a very large capacity, this bag only weighs 0.7 kg. It can be adjusted to fit any torso size with its adjustable harness. So whether you’re a man, woman, adult or younger, this bag will fit comfortably.
- Spacious yet very light
- Tripod compatible
- Three point camera access: top, side, & rear access
- Type: Backpack/Sling
- Capacity/Fits: Pro DSLR, 3-4 lenses, flashgun, 13-inch laptop, tripod and small accessories
- Interior Dimensions: 45 x 24 x 18cm
- Exterior Dimensions: 46 x 30 x 23.5cm
- Weight: 1.1kg
If you need the best backpack camera bag for DSLR that’s effortlessly convertible to a single sling strap whenever you need to, check out the Vanguard Veo Discover 46. To convert it, simply zip/unzip its unique 2 in 1 design strap. It’s the best camera bag sling for both left and right handed photographers out there since it’s accessible on both sides.
The best camera sling bags for all weather conditions need to be water resistant, just like the Vanguard Veo Discover 46 – it has a water resistant outer material and an anti-scratch bottom. To keep your gear and accessories organised, it has multiple pockets and compartments including a top, rear – where you can store laptops or tablets up to 13 inches, internal and external pockets, as well as a securable rear pocket for your valuables.
This bag weighs just 1.1 kg and can fit your DSLR, 3-4 extra lenses, and numerous accessories. It can also be used to carry tripods. If you’re trying to find the best camera sling bags, check out the link below to view its current (affordable) price.
- Good price
- Versatile carrying – sling backpack style with both right & left access
- Compatible with a tripod
- The main compartment is only accessible by opening the back so you can’t open it while wearing as a backpack
- Type: Backpack
- Capacity/Fits: 2 Premium CSC bodies and a 70/200 mm lens attached, additional lenses, or a premium CSC, a foldable drone and a handheld camera gimbal, 13-inch laptop
- Interior Dimensions: 44 x 28 x 15cm
- Exterior Dimensions: 47 x 30 x 24cm
- Weight: 1.4kg
For those who need the best DSLR backpack with a spacious interior, consider the Manfrotto Prolight RedBee 110. This backpack has side and top access for its main compartment and is great to use for both indoor and outdoor shoots, rainy or sunny weather.
From 2 CSC bodies, extra lenses, and foldable drones, everything can fit in the Manfrotto Prolight RedBee. It features flexible dividers, a front pocket, and a zippered mesh internal pocket for your laptop/tablet/accessories up to 13 inches.
This 1.4 kg backpack comes with a side tripod holder as well as a rain cover. Although this may not be the best small camera backpack for travel, if you’re someone who brings a lot of gear when travelling, this will be a great bag for you.
- Large internal capacity
- Designed with side tripod holder
- A bit pricey
- Type: Shoulder
- Capacity/Fits: Mirrorless camera kit, GorillaPod, LED lighting, audio equipment and tablet
- Interior Dimensions: 26 x 10 x 17cm
- Exterior Dimensions: 28.5 x 13 x 19.5cm
- Weight: 0.5kg
Looking for the best camera messenger bag 2021? The Lowepro LP37161 M-Trekker SH 150 might just be the best shoulder camera bag for DSLR. This compact bag is great for those needing a lightweight bag for their mirrorless cameras, lens, and tablet.
It includes enough pockets for organising your gear such as interior storage for memory cards or your tablet, and front pockets for keys, caps of lenses, and other small items. For your comfort, it features a padded, adjustable shoulder strap that’s completely removable.
This lightweight – 0.5kg – shoulder/messenger is on the smaller side so great for those who need a compact bag for shooting. It’s also perfect if you’re looking for the best affordable camera bag – just check out our link!
- Very affordable
- Compact – won’t be suitable for everyone
- Type: Shoulder
- Capacity/Fits: Semi-professional SLR camera with mid-size zoom lens, mid-size zoom lens, flash, accessories
- Interior Dimensions: 37 x 29 x 11cm
- Exterior Dimensions: 38 x 30 x 12cm
- Weight: 0.4kg
Although function and features are important, there’s no shame in wanting to find the best looking camera bags. One of the most stylish bags on our list is this shoulder style Triple A Camera Hobo – one of the best Crumpler camera bag options on the market.
This bag can fit medium sized SLRs as well as some accessories. It’s made of 1000D “Chicken Tex Supreme” nylon and has a water resistant lining made from 210T ripstop nylon which ensures your gear is protected from liquids as well as scratches. The padded inserts are removable so you can customise the layout however you like.
The Crumpler Triple A Hobo weighs only 0.4 kg and has a capacity of 9L. It’s available in three different colours (navy, red, and black) all with an attractive, minimalist design.
- Very light – 0.4 kg
- Includes a removable, zippered padded camera pouch and accessory pouch
- Designed with an internal zippered mesh pocket, grip handle, and adjustable shoulder strap
- Quite thin padding – which also means it’s not bulky or heavy
- Type: Shoulder
- Capacity/Fits: Semi-professional SLR camera with mid-size zoom lens, extra mid-size zoom lens, flash, accessories
- Interior Dimensions: 32 x 20 x 13.5cm
- Exterior Dimensions: 37.5 x 25 x 15cm
- Weight: 0.4kg
One of the best affordable camera bags that doesn’t skimp on features is this Crumpler Light Delight 6000. This over the shoulder bag is not just cheap but weighs as light as a feather too – 0.4 kg.
For greater protection, it’s made with internal quilting and padding. Its features include external zippered pockets, a carry handle, an adjustable shoulder strap, and a fastening flap. The bag is constructed with a 330D hyper performance, waterproof ripstop weave with a soft protective lining.
This super lightweight shoulder bag is a great product for beginners or even professionals who are carrying light.
- Cheap price
- Very light – 0.4 kg
- Other bags may offer more protection for heavier use
- Type: Sling
- Capacity/Fits: Ungripped DSLR, 1-2 lenses, 10-inch tablet OR mirrorless body, 3-5 lenses, 10-inch tablet
- Interior Dimensions: 31.8 x 18 x 12.2cm
- Exterior Dimensions: 40.5 x 28 x 16cm
- Weight: 1.0kg
Last but not least is the MindShift Gear PhotoCross 10. This is a tough sling bag that’s designed to protect your gear effectively without sacrificing comfort.
This sling bag is made with weatherproof and durable materials. It includes an internal padded pocket that acts as storage for tablets up to 10 inches, and a 108-158 cm shoulder strap and 155 cm waist belt meaning it can fit almost any photographer.
This sling bag isn’t the most spacious as it’s designed to be compact and light – 1 kg with a 7.5L capacity. If you want a compact bag that will stay comfy after long hours of shooting, check this one out.
- Made of weatherproof, abrasion resistant materials
- Thick padding
- Not the most spacious bag available
I hope you enjoyed this guide and find it helpful in choosing the best camera bag for you! Also looking for backpacks and other camping essentials? Read about the best travel backpacks, best carry on backpack, best hiking backpacks, best duffel bag and best pop up tent. Or find more guides to the best camping gear here.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.